Hissing Worms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hissing Worms

Welcome all members.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
Apple Rant EmptyMon Oct 26, 2020 6:45 pm by Darkprism

» KM / Mitsu's New site
Apple Rant EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 2:56 am by Darkprism

» I'm back.
Apple Rant EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 2:54 am by Stadd

» So yeah
Apple Rant EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:13 am by Darkprism

» Forummotion Chatbox on Every Page Guide!
Apple Rant EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 8:14 pm by Diggy

Top posters
Gr33n
Apple Rant I_vote_lcapApple Rant I_voting_barApple Rant I_vote_rcap 
Mitsukaru
Neverwinter XIII
HaZe
Zeph
Scrubby
Avogadro
Darkprism
Diggy
LolICU
SOTW WINNER(S)
SOTW #4 WINNER(S)

Winner: ZephyR

Partners
TheForumsNG NecroAccuracy PaidTheFastest

EWW

Apple Rant

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Neverwinter XIII
Silent Intent
Neverwinter XIII

Assistant '10 : Apple Rant Assist10
Member '10 : Apple Rant 2up7mv8
HWPoints : 6345

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 12:10 am

Okay, let me make something perfectly clear that has bothered me long enough. iDevice “gaming” is NOT real gaming.

Sure, Apple fanboys can pull out (in addition to their knives, pitchforks, and torches) as many gems as they want such as NOVA, Infinity Blade, Rage HD, Chaos Rings, among others, and show them to me in an attempt to dwindle my statement to nothing but bullcrap. But, as cool as those games are, they don’t, nor may they ever, compare to the games found on the Sony PlayStation Portable or Nintendo DS. Why, you may ask? Read on to find out!

NO BUTTONS

First and foremost, there is the very bitter fact that the iOS devices don’t have buttons. Face it, fanboys: buttons do matter, and those virtual doppelgangers just won’t cut it. Believe it or not, many games on the App Store seriously need buttons to become a heck of a lot better. How so? Take the game Battle Bears -1 for example. In the game, you’re expected to shoot down “huggables” with the gritty force of a machine gun and other weapons. Groovy ideas…until you have to shoot with one joystick, navigate with another, and switch weapons, view options, and access maps with separate panels.

So what’s the deal? Sure, you can access all of that with a tap, but with a push of a button, you can do all of that and more. Yes’m, you heard correctly. Buttons give you more options, and are 100% guaranteed to make apps better…granted the developer knows how to take advantage of them. Buttons also give you a prettier picture. When all of that clutter is out of the way, you can finally take in those drop-dead gorgeous games like Epic Games’ Infinity Blade, Spider-Man: Total Mayhem, and others. Plus, you don’t have to lift your thumb and disturb your game to see if there’s an enemy right under your “joystick”.

SHOVELWARE

Trust me, not all of the apps in the App Store were made for gaming. In fact, an overwhelming majority of those games really suck. Hard. Very few of the apps you’ll see will last you over 10 minutes at a time. In fact, many of the games lack concept. iPhone devs expect you to launch a bird and kill a pig. How dull. Wouldn’t you rather take down mighty bosses, unravel mysteries, fight loads of enemies, and go back and forth through time all the while trying to save a princess/the world? Of course you do.
Seriously, though, the only real gems that are the closest (not close, there’s a difference) to handheld quality are FPS’, RPG’s, and the occasional racing game. Serious gamers might know that that’s not a satisfying or diverse title selection. In fact, some would look at it and say that Apple is evolving into more of a Microsoft than a Sony (I’m looking at you, Xbox). Plus, there are only a handful of major companies that are building quality apps for the iOS, and Apple, shamefully, isn’t one of them. You can just pick one random PSP or DS title, and it would no doubt blow the iDevices out of the water.

APPLE’S “HALF-TRUTHS”

This is what really ticks me off. Last September, Apple boasted that they sold more iPod Touch units than Sony and Nintendo combined. Really? Worldwide, DS has sold well over 135 million units, and if you add that to the PSP’s 61 million, you get 191 million handheld gaming units sold to date. Apple told us that they (from what I remember) sold 35 million iPod units. So it’s either Apple’s not good with math, or they have lied to the public. You decide.
Second, Apple says that many of the games you get on the App Store are free; but did they tell you had to often pay for full versions (or wait ‘til it’s a Free App of the Day), free apps regularly have advertisements, and they’re not guaranteed to be be…well, good? Also, they told you that the full versions are at a solid $0.99—$1.99 (or more) price range. However, did they tell you that with most things “you get what you pay for,” and that what you pay for is a quick, cheap attempt at a video game that is addicting and mindless, but not fun? No? You should try to get your money back…which brings us to our next subject:

NO HARDCOPIES

Duh…if you knew a thing about iOS devices, you would know that apps are strictly download-only. The advantages are:

• You don’t have to fiddle around with UMDs or Game Cards.
• You can get rid of the game at any time by deleting it.
• They’re always in one place: your device.
• Apps are cheaper…they heal your wallet.

However, the disadvantages may outweigh the advantages:

• With Apple, refunds are highly discouraged. They might even deny you the right to refund it.
• There’s a little “magic” involved when you purchase a game, or get one for a gift. To think that a developer put loads of time into it, just for you or someone else, makes some people feel all tingly inside.
• You can keep an unlimited collection, rather than sticking with Apple’s 11-page policy.
• You don’t have to wait for updates if an app is broken. Sometimes, update fixes may even delete your progress. Time to start over…again!
• Apps are cheaper…they make you question the developer’s sanity and may make your brain cry.
• iDevices don’t make you any cooler…no matter what the word on the street says.

On a final note, I use my iPod Touch for virtually everything, and it’s a great device. However, I use it for gaming more than anything else, and as a PSP and Sony-loving, DS-diehard (yes, we exist), iTouch gaming should be disregarded. Completely.

Stay Snazzy and Peace Out,

Neverwinter

Editor’s Note:
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Gr33n
Golden Gamer
Golden Gamer
Gr33n

Gaming Mod '10 : Apple Rant Gaming10
HWPoints : 29439

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 12:40 am

Well, I'm gonna have to do a LOT of work to get my Anti Kinect rant up to these unusually high standards. Thanks for crushing my self esteem.

OT: I completely agree. 3DS is looking to be seriously adult-friendly. I tried NOVA. GREAT GAME, however, I died on multiple occasions because I couldn't see the guy under my thumb.
Back to top Go down
LolICU
WHAT THE FUDGE
LolICU

HWPoints : 3206

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 1:05 am

that was so long...stretching the "wall of text" term lol. I read about half the paragraph and I think i somewhat get what your trying to say. Something about Sony / nintendo is better than apple's iPODs, etc, etc?
BTW almost all "kids" have touches or ipads >.> well that I know of anyways.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ysorandom.weebly.com
Neverwinter XIII
Silent Intent
Neverwinter XIII

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 4:58 am

LolICU wrote:
that was so long...stretching the "wall of text" term lol. I read about half the paragraph and I think i somewhat get what your trying to say. Something about Sony / nintendo is better than apple's iPODs, etc, etc?
BTW almost all "kids" have touches or ipads >.> well that I know of anyways.

First, every rant I've seen across the web involves either a massive wall of text or a ten-minute speech. You probably have never seen a rant before... <.<

Edit: Would it kill ya to read a few long paragraphs once in a while? jk

Second, Sony and Nintendo are both better than Apple's iOS devices when it comes to gaming. iPod pretty much rocks at everything else, though. But, sometimes, it just feels...boring to do stuff on.

Lastly, you're right, loads of kids have iTouches or iPads. That's why most of the stuff bought on the App Store are games. Which is also why Apple has probably made the biggest mistake in their history...pick a fight with Sony/Nintendo.

Back to top Go down
Gr33n
Golden Gamer
Golden Gamer
Gr33n

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 11:20 am

Dude, Sony and Ninty are already massively destructive forces. Apple may end up losing within a year. PsP2 coming out holiday 2011, and 3DS Q2 2011, we have some MAJOR competition here. Apple really doesn't have any gimmick to it, which everyone else does or can easily make.
Back to top Go down
Nameless
Earth Worm
Nameless

HWPoints : 270

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Gr33n wrote:
Apple really doesn't have any gimmick to it, which everyone else does or can easily make.

Does "It's also a cell phone" count as a gimmick?
Back to top Go down
Gr33n
Golden Gamer
Golden Gamer
Gr33n

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 4:13 pm

Uh, no........ Like, the controller has buttons isn't a gimmick.
Back to top Go down
zekedablitzer
The One and Only METALGEEK!!
zekedablitzer

HWPoints : 3123

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 4:42 pm

wow, u are very dedicated neverwinter. either tht, or apple just suks.(which they do)
Back to top Go down
LolICU
WHAT THE FUDGE
LolICU

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Apple's products are not even meant to be used for gaming. Lots of people in the working community use iPADS, iPODS as a camera, a music device or a way of communication. Only about 10% of the people who buy these things use them purely for gaming, and imo they are retards. being even more portable than the psp/ds with more functions, I think that they will last longer in the long run. Also, most apps are free so you don't have to buy them and the only way to get free games on a psp is if you jailbreak it.
Lets face it: the majoirty of adults / teens will always choose apple or sony (for tvs and shit), only the younger crod will ever choose nintendo. TBH pretty much the only games nintendo has are T and E rated, which won't appeal to the everyday-hardcore gamer. Only to the extreme casual gamer. Not to mention that nintendo consoles have bad graphics.
Back to top Go down
Gr33n
Golden Gamer
Golden Gamer
Gr33n

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Alright LolICU, you are wrong. i don't even know where to begin. Nintendo is quite a bit more hardcore than you make them out to be, and being the best-known company, they have a huge edge. Wii has more hardcore games than 360 and ps3. Not by much, but they do(well, depends on if you know what hardcore REALLY means) Rating also has NOTHING to do with how good a game is. Worlds most popular game is rated E.

Also, iTouch is marketed as gaming device.
Back to top Go down
LolICU
WHAT THE FUDGE
LolICU

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 9:12 pm

There isn't really a true definition for a hardcore game so you wouldn't know what it means either, IMO sony and microsoft have more hardcore games than the wii. You can have a different opinion and im pretty sure everyone else has theirs. My definition hardcore game=most time consuming / good game.

Now tell me, what is the world's most popular game ATM (best sales, reviews, etc)? I dont care if it was popular back in the day, don't tell me your favourite game, check the ratings and tell me the most popular game out right now. Single game, I don't want a series.

I doubt nintendo is the most well known. Microsoft is and Sony comes next. Microsoft sells high quality computers and I'm pretty sure Bill Gates is more famous than the guy who started Nintendo.

i was talking about apple products in general, not just the iTouch.

Ratings give you an idea of what the content of the game will be like, so yeah it tells you how much YOU might like playing the game. The majority of kids that I know 14+ prefer M rated games over E rated games.
Back to top Go down
Gr33n
Golden Gamer
Golden Gamer
Gr33n

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 10:23 pm

Well known includes the entire world. Never said just america. Ninty is top right now. Your definition puts Microsoft in dead last for hardcore games. The accepted definition is something like "hard, long game with good graphics, gameplay, story, and originality.

Www.gamerankings.com click all time. Ninty wins again.
Back to top Go down
LolICU
WHAT THE FUDGE
LolICU

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 1:09 am

Halo=Original Storyline, competitive multiplayer
X360 has better graphics then Nintendo by far
And nintendo has like 30 mario and kirby games that are more or less the same.
You still didn't even give me ONE example of a hardcore nintendo game. is it really that hard?

Dude I know what u mean by well known. People all over the world use Microsoft...what kind of OS do you think so many people around the world use? Microsoft XP/Vista/7, etc, etc. Gaming is just a tiny part of microsoft. Because of Microsoft's wide variety of products, they will always come out on top (Sony too). Nintendo is in the most danger ATM...the second they start producing shitty games and lags behind the PS3 or Xbox, it will end up being like Sega, seeing as though all nintendo produces is games. One of these days people will get sick of having millions of updates for DS and mario games and ditch Nintendo.

After looking at that link, it just further proves that games liike CoD or Assassins Creed (M rated games) trumps E rated nintendo games with the exception of maybe 1 or 2.
Back to top Go down
Gr33n
Golden Gamer
Golden Gamer
Gr33n

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 2:28 am

Top 3 games are E, so you can suck that. All Zelda games, Conker, Banjo, a handful of spin off RPG's, Kirby, and DK.

Side note: Ps4 graphicsslightly better than 360. Microsoft lowest in console sales AND user ratings. Wii roping ratings, #2 in sales. 360 has little to no original games( yes I acknoledge Halo) but that's mostly it.
Back to top Go down
LolICU
WHAT THE FUDGE
LolICU

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 5:11 pm

Pretty much all kirby, mario, dk and zelda games have more or less the same gameplay and a slightly adjusted storyline with different characters.. BTW base all ratings on the same website...Obviously nintendo-hard sites will rate E rated games high. Gamerankings is prolly the most biased ratings site on the web. My point is, E rated games will appeal to younger gamers, especially since their parents (unless they are gamers, they would probably rate E higher than M) probably won't even let them play T or M rated games. Very few E rated games will appeal to kids over the age of 13, which probably contains the largest community of hardcore gamers.

Try using metascore: http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all?sort=desc

Microsoft company in general>Nintendo in general

X360 original games: Fable, Left 4 Dead, Gears of War, Dead Rising, Alan Wake, and probably a lot more I can't think of right now.

Back to top Go down
Neverwinter XIII
Silent Intent
Neverwinter XIII

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Apple Rant Saywhatwhitney
Child, please. LolICU doesn't know what he's talking about. If he did, he'd know that...

1. GameRanking's is an AGGREGATE scoring site...much like MetaCritic. They take reviews from every publication ever done since the dawn of gaming and puts them in one. There is no way you can screw that up with fanboism. Got it?

2. Nintendo has the most original titles I've ever seen. All of those that you listed were mostly FPS'. Got it?

3. 3DS has some of the best titles going for it, and they're only launch titles. More will be announced later, and they will be epic. Got it?

4. Microsoft owns the SOFTWARE called Windows. Not the HARDWARE. Plus, just because they make good computers doesn't mean they sell good consoles. It's almost like Apple and their App Store. Got it?

5. In one of your sentences, you call people over 13 "kids". Word-usage fail. Got it?

6. I pwn'd you. Got it?

BTW, this may be surprise to you, but worldwide, the DS is selling more units than Microsoft will ever sell. Weird, huh.
Back to top Go down
Gr33n
Golden Gamer
Golden Gamer
Gr33n

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 pm

I lol'd. Pwn'd much?
Back to top Go down
LolICU
WHAT THE FUDGE
LolICU

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Nah, those facts are only somewhat (hardly) true.

1. Go check what websites rates which games for Gamerankings. I'm pretty sure neither website have taken every single review from every publication ever done...I've seen reviews on games not on either of those sites. Many games are not even ranked on their sites.

2. Yeah the most original titles that YOU've ever seen, that's your opinion. Yes I am aware that those titles are FPS, is there is problem with that? Mario / DK / Kirby / Zelda are all arcade / adventure style games.

3. Some of the best maybe, but by not THE best and also, it's just your guess that they will be epic. Nintendo has made so many promises to the public that don't come true.

4. Xbox360 is still a high-quality console. Good graphics, good games, good community, what else do you really need for gaming? Apple did not make every single app, there are many individual developers.. Microsoft does own the windows OS. They have sponsors, does that clear it up for you?

5. Teens* Happy now?

6. After reading this, I think you would realize that you didn't "pwn" me after all.

Since I have no doubt that someone is going to rebuff me, I'll just say that I'm ending this here. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Gr33n
Golden Gamer
Golden Gamer
Gr33n

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 9:44 pm

I lol'd again. Total pwnage FROM YOURSELF!!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA you're funny dude. I need to talk to you more often, you've got good jokes.

Seriously, ubetrippin.
Back to top Go down
Neverwinter XIII
Silent Intent
Neverwinter XIII

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 12:00 am

Indeed he is. Anyway, back on topic (somewhat)...*sigh*

I really hope the PSP2 (PSP-4000) isn't a phone. Of all the things they should be working on, they have to be making the PSP to have near PS3-quality graphics, trophies, two comfortable joysticks, and great ergonomics.
Back to top Go down
Gr33n
Golden Gamer
Golden Gamer
Gr33n

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 12:40 am

It's been confirmed the PsPhone and PsP2 are different. I'm getting both.
Back to top Go down
Nameless
Earth Worm
Nameless

HWPoints : 270

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 1:06 am

LolICU wrote:

Microsoft company in general>Nintendo in general

I hate to get involved in a gaming flamewar, but as a Linux user, I'm almost legally obligated to disagree with you here.

Microsoft as a company has been killing innovation since before you were born. They've been found guilty in multiple trials:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Microsoft_competition_case

But got away with almost no punishment, under suspicious circumstances.

As a company, they're far worse than Nintendo, who simply offer their product, and people who want to buy it buy it. Those who don't, don't.

Maybe in gaming, they're no better, but as a company, they've always been the evil empire.

We now return to your originally scheduled gaming war (Already in progress.)
Back to top Go down
LolICU
WHAT THE FUDGE
LolICU

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 1:10 am

:p it aint a war, just a discussion (which is over) and fyi a lot of large companies get sued. Me and a billion other microsoft users around the world don't think the way you do. I'm sure even people who hate the 360 use Microsoft for a lot of other things.

Also, I wouldn't say that getting fined over $2 billion dollars over the course of a few years is "almost no punishment."
Back to top Go down
Neverwinter XIII
Silent Intent
Neverwinter XIII

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 4:31 am

LolICU wrote:
:p it aint a war, just a discussion (which is over) and fyi a lot of large companies get sued. Me and a billion other microsoft users around the world don't think the way you do. I'm sure even people who hate the 360 use Microsoft for a lot of other things.

Also, I wouldn't say that getting fined over $2 billion dollars over the course of a few years is "almost no punishment."

No offense, but this is the smartest comment I've seen since the war started. I can actually agree with (90%) of this. To tie up some loose ends, however, Nameless is right. As a tech giant, Microsoft is a household name, even if how they execute it, isn't as perfect as some may think.

As a gaming company, Nintendo has a WAY stronger edge. Remember, Ninty may be a one-trick pony, but it's insanely good at what it does, even without HD, and that's impressive. There's always something "magical" about getting a Nintendo product. It makes me feel all warm and tingly... >.>

How about we (officially) end the war with a few quick comments later on. K?
Back to top Go down
LolICU
WHAT THE FUDGE
LolICU

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 4:37 pm

Sure lol Smile
I have to admit, when I was younger I used to love the 64 and I loved the wii when it came out. But for me, the "magical" feeling fades away over a while and I switch over to other things. I used to have a PS3 as well, but I sold it after a few weeks. I only recently got my Xbox (about 6 months ago) and I love it. Eventually I'll get bored of that as well, and if no game company develops something fresh then I'll probably stop gaming. As for the Microsoft Sony x Nintndo war, it's been going on (all over the internet) for many years already, and I don't expect it to end...or ever have a clear winner. Ever company will always have its dedicated fanboys, some gamers stay in the neutral zone and can switch over at any time or not at all. Almost the entire population of younger gamers go out to Nintendo and as they grow up, some switch to Microsoft or Sony, others stay with Nintendo.
And that's about all I have left on this "gaming war" discussion Razz
Well the unbiased info anyway.
-Officially ends for me (since I literally have no more "game" left in me)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Apple Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple Rant   Apple Rant Empty

Back to top Go down

Apple Rant
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next